A Brief History of St Oswald's

A Brief History of St Oswald's

None of the original masonry of the Saxon church survives above ground, but ancient foundations can be seen below the floor near the North door. The church, consisting of a nave and chancel only, was probably rebuilt in 1240 with some of the old foundations used for the North wall.

Between 1300 and 1350 the nave was extended to its present length and a South aisle of three bays of pointed arches supported on low octagonal piers was added. The chancel was also remodelled in the fourteenth century, probably at the same time. The old dimensions were kept and some of the old stone was used. The second half of the century saw the addition of the tower and the South porch with stone benches and a slabbed roof.

In 1483-4 the clerestory, the roof of the nave and some windows were added and the Waterton Chapel was built on the South side of the chancel. This chapel has a timber roof adorned with angels and it contains most of the church’s features of historical significance.

In 1874 the chancel was repaired and lengthened. The East wall was completely rebuilt in Oulton stone and the original window was replaced by one of three lights. A stone reredos was built beneath the East window in 1879. In 1924 there was a further renovation of the chancel; a new sanctuary, an organ chamber and a vestry were added, all in Guiseley stone. A new roof of English oak was constructed, and embattled parapets were added as a feature of the external walls of chancel and vestry.


Printer Printable Version